Translate

Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Music Evening with John Stonier

On 20 June 2010 at 19h30 John Stonier will be presenting a music appreciation programme at Mike and Louise’s home on the origins of opera. I asked him to give me an indication of what he intended, and his response is vintage John. Herewith the verbatim response:

“I’m not certain what it is you want from me but here are a few pointers for you to consider. Please pick and choose what you feel is relevant for your Newsletter. My only plea is that you don’t give the impression that I am some kind of fundi!

Some while ago I was asked to choose to talk on some topic. In the end I felt that the ‘Origins of Opera’ may be of some interest. I am not really an opera boffin – there are many others in the Society who are far more knowledgeable than I am. However, I had done some reading about the early origins of opera and I was willing to share what I had gleaned from the reading.

In essence I thought to go back to the late sixteenth century when a number of musical activities started to come together that eventually saw the light of day in what we now call ‘opera’. I plan to list and describe a number of features of those early stages and to illustrate what I can on CD and DVD.

Unfortunately, most of the early music leading to opera is not on record – in fact it has been lost – but I have found some things that should give an idea of what was taking place at that time. I plan to end screening some DVD extracts from the first operas of the early 1600s that are still staged today.

Members must not expect a presentation from an erudite musicologist since I am far from being that but rather the members will get some pointers from someone who has an interest in music and enjoys exploring appropriate reading.”

Members who attended his previous presentation, will know enough to ignore his protestations of being an ignoramus. See you all there.

No comments: